Bring on the adventure
Nail-biting. Heart-pounding. Love, death, and everything in between.
We are looking for stories that are juicy—full of plot and awesome. But that doesn’t mean we want to skimp on taste. Give us your gorgeous prose, your vast landscapes of wonder, and your characters that make us care. We want to be inspired by you, frightened by you, and forever changed by you.
Submit if you dare.
MOTHER: TALES OF LOVE AND TERROR
Weird Little Worlds Press is looking for contributors to its second Kickstarter science fiction, fantasy, and horror anthology. Bring your weird and help us tell the scariest and most interesting mother stories you’ve ever imagined.
There is no one with more power and control over the fate of the world than a mother. Whether it’s an evil stepmother or a virtuous mother-to-be, there are stories inherent in the acts of mothering and being mothered.
In these stories and poems, mothers become heroes and villains. The concept of motherhood is examined and stretched to its ultimate limits across time, space, gender, location, and concept. Deliciously dark, each tale forces us to examine the depth and breadth of what motherhood is and what a mother will do for her offspring.
With brand new work from:
Gemma Files • Donyae Coles • Brian Evenson
Ai Jiang • Sarah Read • Nadia Bulkin
John Langan • S.P. Miskowski • Shane Hawk
Steve Toase • Christina Sng • Steve Rasnic Tem
Hailey Piper • Gabino Iglesias • Mercedes M. Yardley
and many more
What we want:
- Something creative and fresh
- Mothers as both villains and protagonists
- Literary and engaging tales of scifi, dark fantasy, and horror
- Crisp writing with all the fat cut away
- Diverse voices of all backgrounds, nationalities, gender identifications, sexual orientations, races, religions, and cultures
What we don’t want:
- Fan fiction
- Previously published stories
- Boring monsters doing boring stuff
- Excessive gore, sex, or swearing (we have a hard PG-13 bent, so we don’t HATE it, but it has to be pretty pertinent and defensible)
- A narrative-disguised soap box — we aren’t your platform for preaching ANYTHING
- Anything unedited. At least run it by another set of eyes before you send it.
Thank you for submitting! We look forward to reading your story or poem.
Up to 5k words
50 lines of poetry
.05 per word
$1 per line
June 1, 2022